‘9 saal, 9 sawaal’: Congress asks PM Modi 9 questions as BJP govt completes 9 years
Days before Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to complete nine years in power on May 30, the Congress party Friday said it wants to raise nine questions for the PM on this occasion. “We want the prime minister to break his silence on these questions,” Congress General Secretary in-charge of communications Jairam Ramesh said at a press conference at the party headquarters in Delhi.
The Congress released a document titled ‘9 saal 9 sawaal‘ (9 years 9 questions) at the briefing, listing the queries of the party – which range from the subjects of economy and corruption to COVID-19 and social justice. “The prime minister must respond to these nine questions before the BJP begins to celebrate,” the Congress said.
Here are the questions that the chief Opposition party has put forth:
1, The Economy: Why is it that inflation and unemployment are skyrocketing in India? Why have the rich become richer and the poor poorer? Why is public property being sold to PM Modis friends, even as economic disparities are increasing?
2. Agriculture and farmers: Why is it that the agreements made with farmers while repealing the three black farm laws have not been honoured? Why has MSP not been legally guaranteed? Why didn’t farmers’ income double over the last 9 years?
3. Corruption and cronyism: Why are you putting people’s hard-earned savings in LIC and SBI at risk to benefit your friend Adani? Why are you letting thieves escape? Why are you silent on rampant corruption in BIP-ruled states, and why are you letting Indians suffer?
4. China and national security: Why is it that even after your clean chit to China in 2020, they continue to occupy Indian territory? 18 meetings have been held with China, yet why do they refuse to yield Indian territory and instead continue with their aggressive tactics?
5. Social harmony: Why are you deliberately using the politics of hatred for electoral gains and fueling an atmosphere of fear in society?
6. Social justice: Why is it that your oppressive government is methodically destroying the foundations of social justice? Why are you silent on the atrocities against women, Dalits, SC, ST, OBCs and minorities? Why are you ignoring the demand for a caste census?
7. Democracy and federalism: Why have you weakened our Constitutional values and democratic institutions in the last nine years? Why are you practicing the politics of revenge against Opposition parties and leaders? And why are you using blatant ‘money power to destabilise governments elected by the people?
8. Welfare schemes: Why is it that schemes for the welfare of the poor, needy and tribals are being weakened by cutting their budgets and making restrictive rules?
9. COVID-19 mismanagement: Why is it that despite the tragic deaths of over 40 lakh people due to COVID-19, the Modi government has refused to compensate their families? Why did you suddenly impose a lockdown which forced lakhs of workers to return home, and not provide any support?
“Rahul Gandhi ji had raised these 9 questions continuously during and after Bharat Jodo Yatra, but till date no answer has been received… It is time for the prime minister to break his silence,” Ramesh said.